Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Creative ways to use wallpaper...

So on the Nester today I got a new idea for wallpaper... I thought you might like to see how I used wallpaper in a cabinet in my kitchen. The cabinet was all white inside and has glass front doors. I added all my "accessories" (as referred to by my husband as clutter) inside, and still there was no WOW factor. The cabinet needed something... Then I thought about adding color on the inside of the cabinet. I didn't want to use paint, so that's when I came up with the idea of using wallpaper. I went to the local wallpaper store and found the perfect pattern and color to accent my kitchen decor. I purchased one roll and I was off to start the transformation.
I've done all my own wallpapering but this was a little difficult. It was such a small area to work in. The paper had to be pieced, the patterns had to match and I covered the ceiling of the cabinet.
A few hours later it was complete. I was happy with the transformation, well sort of... The cabinet was sort of dark inside and it was hard to see all the "clutter" inside. Now, I needed my husband's help. So with a little bit of sweet talking, no really begging, I convinced him to put in some overhead lighting. I made my famous mistake of saying to him, "I have something I'd like you to do, and it won't be that difficult". That never really goes over very well with him. How would I know how difficult an electrical job would be. I underestimated the time involved. He had to rewire things. The only way to to hide the switch was put it inside the cabinet, next to the one I wanted the lights in. You can view the switch in the photo below. In the end it worked out fine. That evening once the job was completed, I made my husband's favorite dinner. That's just a helpful tip for any of you who are thinking of having your hubby do this project for you!
Now I was happy with the transformation . It was just how I had envisioned it in my mind.

Next time you're at the local home center or wallpaper store, don't just walk by the clearance section without taking a look at the rolls of clearance wallpaper. For a few dollars you can create a whole new look that will give your home, that designer look!

post signature

3 comments:

Screaming Meme said...

That looks wonderful! Great job....That armoire I painted for a client has wallpaper on the doors....I think wallpaper can be used for so many things...Id love to see your furniture...Ive painted furniture for 9 yrs now...so, I got over the nervous part...it is only paint...It can be fixed...And if you like the distressed look that is even better...I am off to look at your blog...It is so cute! Screaming Meme

tammy said...

What a fabulous idea! I think I may have to do this.

Rohit Singh said...

very Nice Article and Pictures are very beautiful I forgot to mention last night Play bazaarthat I've nominated you to receive The Versatile Blogger award.Satta king

Related Posts with Thumbnails