Monday, August 11, 2008

Can you have to many roosters in your kitchen???

I have told you a few things that I really like. Did I tell you that I Love roosters? I started with this single rooster that I found at a local discount. Well actually, it was not this very rooster. The first rooster was shattered when my husband was cleaning the counter off after dinner. He picked it up and did not realize that the rooster was not attached to the base of greenery. It fell to the floor and it no longer had it's head attached. It took a few months to find a replacement, but here it is. Originally I just had the rooster just placed on the center island, then I found the glass and iron plate. I added some greens and permanently glued it to the base. Now when my husband is sweet enough to help clean up, I don't have to worry about any accidents.
This was my second addition to the kitchen, I found it a few years ago at Crate & Barrel. It's fairly large and it doesn't have much color. It works well just tucked in a corner with my canisters.

This rooster was a Christmas gift from a friend. It's quite whimsical and I was not sure what to do with it at first. I placed it on top of the fridge with a large plate behind it and some greenery. It now stands guard over all our family gatherings. It has the perfect spot to view everything.

My latest addition was the tray with the rooster on it. I hung it on the wall with a extra heavy mounting tape made by Scotch. I wasn't sure it would hold the weight but it's been three weeks and it's still hanging. I found the tray at JoAnn Fabrics for fifty percent off. Whippie!!!!
The corner bakers rack has another rooster along with many other treasured items. Here's a close up of the rooster. I placed a wreath behind him (it helps to hide the extension cord from the lamp and wall outlet) .

I made this padded bulliten board that is above my desk in the kitchen. I was able to find some red toille fabric that had roosters on it. Can you see the large one in the center of the board. I had seen this board at an expensive gift shop. I was unwilling to spend for it, eventhough I loved it. I kept the idea in the back of my mind. A few weeks later after we finished tiling our backsplash I went to Home Depot and bought some molding. I can use "some" power tools so I used the miter saw and made myself a frame. I painted the frame and then distressed it. I covered a thin sheet of plywood with batting and the toille fabric. Added some checked bias that I hand made for the ribbon holders. I added decorative brass tacks to hold the bias in place. For $20.00 I had the bulliten board that was $150.00 at the gift shop!!

The glass cabinet holds the rest of the rooster collection, including the rooster plates. This is one of my favorite displays. I once again asked (begged) my husband to do another project and add some lights to the cabinet. He really didn't see the purpose for this, but I knew it would just add to the "ambiance" of the display. Once he completed the lights, I found a wonderful wallpaper and covered the inside off the entire cabinet with it. I've done all my own wallpapering but this did prove to be challenge because it was such a small space. I also wallpapered the ceiling of the cabinet. I love the glow of the lights in the everning.

Here's a better look with the doors open!!

Isn't this rooster so sweet with it's black polka dots.

Well let me ask you....Can you have to many roosters in your kitchen? I don't think so, but I would love to hear what you think!

post signature

6 comments:

Darlene said...

Hi Sherry,
I have just discovered your blog from the Nesters mistreatment party and after leaving a comment there I started looking around.
Love your blog....I love all your roosters. I have just recently purchased some metal ones. I even showed my newest one on my blog yesterday.
Your vignettes are just beautiful. I'll be back to visit and I'm sure often. Nice to meet you.

deborah said...

I too have roosers in my kitchen and I love them!

Screaming Meme said...

I have a rooster collection too! I love them...Ive loved them longer than I probably should....12 yrs...i think they look so french and regal...I love your style...It's up my alley! :)

Connie said...

Just found your blog and enjoyed the read. Love the roosters!

Becki said...

I just found your blog too and I have to say... No, I don't think you can have too many roosters.

Your kitchen is wonderful. I've been eyeing roosters lately too and I have to say -- you've sparked some wonderful ideas.

Rohit Singh said...

very Nice Article and Pictures are very beautiful I forgot to mention last night Play bazaarthat I've nominated you to receive The Versatile Blogger award.Satta king

Related Posts with Thumbnails