Thursday, October 23, 2008

Twists and Turns in the Road....

It's amazing how quickly life passes by. Where have the years gone by? As I look over the years that have passed, I see the turns in the road and how my life has changed. I thought about this today when I ran across a picture of a cake I had made for a good friend’s daughter’s wedding last year. Before I had my custom window treatment business, I had an entirely different business, a wedding cake business. As my boys got older and began to play baseball, I found myself missing many of their games. I love being my own boss, but I needed to create a new business that would allow me to be with my family on the weekends. My business wasn’t worth it to me… I wanted to be able to cherish those memories of their first little league games, so I soon found myself giving up the wedding cake business.
Well years passed, and I offered to make a wedding cake for my friend… This would truly be a “Creation from My Heart”. The cake was not just any cake, it was a "Winter Wonder Land".
I hand made all the snowflakes out of royal icing and dusted them with iridescent glitter. Rhinestones were added to the snowflakes to match the monogrammed rhinestone cake topper. The cake began to shimmered with a "Winter Wonderland" look as I sprinkled the cake with iridescent glitter. It glistened, just as a freshly fallen snow twinkles as it covers the ground in a blanket of snow.

I love coming across photos, it jogs our memory of times past. Bringing a quick smile as we reflect on events that have followed the twists and turns in the road.

"Memories are little jewels, that are treasures stored in our heart".

2 comments:

Suzann said...

Oh my! You surely have a gift!!!

Kathy - mom of many said...

That's such a pretty cake. I love snowflakes. What a special thing to make for your friend. You remind me of a friend I have who is talented in so many things, she can cook, sew, make wedding cakes...you name it and she can do it. She decorated my first home with me and she also made her son's bride's wedding gown. She used to have a catering business years ago. Oh, and she also made her son's wedding cake. You're very talented in many things also. I love to look at your work (or labor of love).
Kathy

Related Posts with Thumbnails