Thursday, October 30, 2008

Creating a FAVORITE Apron....

A few months ago I signed up for an apron exchange titled "HOT MAMA" swap. No it's isn't what you are thinking...it was all about your favorite "HOT" drink! My partner's favorite drink was hot chocolate. As the dead line approached my creative ideas were running on empty. I could not figure out what type of fabric to use. The fabric store carries all types of fabric with coffee and cappuccino printed on it, but nothing with hot chocolate. Then I came up with an idea. I scanned the internet and found a painting of a cup of hot chocolate with some knitting needles. Next step, off I went to my partner's blog. I wanted to find out a bit more about her. BINGO... She had three beautiful daughters!

The idea for my apron.
...MY FAVORITE THINGS....
I copied the photos directly onto some pre-washed muslin. I had been buying printable fabric in the quilting section at Joann Fabrics, until I saw Dawn's post at the FEATHERED NEST. It's easier to do and not as expensive. I printed up the words"Favorite Things" on my computer and copied the photo of her girls off her blog. PRESTO here's what came through the printer. Aren't the girls adorable!

Next I re sized the painting of the cup of hot chocolate and printed it out. I attached both photos with fuse able web and then appliqued lost of pink ribbon to the front of the apron. Oh by the way, did I mention that my partner's "Favorite Color" was pink?

My apron would not have been complete without a pair of matching dishwashing gloves. I know washing dishes does not qualify as a "Favorite Thing", but at least she'll be stylish while doing it!

I think that I filled all the requirements for the swap. Not your everyday type of apron, but when I create something I want it be special and a "Creation From My Heart"!
I've been busy this week getting ready for a craft show at my son's high school. I haven't done a show in years. Come back a visit, I 'll show you some of the items I made. If the show is slow, I may have a lot of items for my Etsy shop that I am going to be opening! "The sunshine that comes from your heart, is warmer than any that comes from the sky"...

7 comments:

Fran said...

The apron is absolutely adorable! I know she will be proud of it.

Fran

ROXY said...

Oh how cute!!! I love those diva rubber gloves!! Too cute! Those aprons would make a wonderful gift idea for my MIL. She's so difficult to buy for and this would be perfect! thanks for sharing;)

Kim Gail said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

What a beautiful apron.. it is so loving and sweet. I know your swap partner is a lucky lady to get such a nice apron from you.. It is sew darn cute :)
M
Sending the matching gloves was very clever.

Amy said...

SO great! I love the gloves... I am going to try doing one this week... my man is out of town and I am going to project...project...project! Now? What to do with my kids? Just kidding. Love the idea. You still blow me away with your creativity! LOVE IT!

Yarni Gras! said...

wonderful wonderful wonderful!
You make gorgeous and creative aprons. I'm sure your partner loved it!

Da Bergs said...

OH. MY. GOSH. I LOVE the gloves!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails