Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Submissions for Somerset Life Magazine

Are there certain things you are "Hooked On"? I love magazines and I am definitely hooked on the publications that Stampington & company publish. I decided to take another chance and send in two more submissions to Somerset Life Magazine for some of the current challenges that they were holding. It's kinda scary at first, but since I got my feet wet with being published in the new "Apron.ology Magazine" I figured I would give it another try. I guess they can only say NO, so why not take a chance... It's this just the sweetest picture. I wanted to use this in my creation.
The challenge was titled, "Celebrations of Life". The requirements for the challenge was to send in something you would use to decorate for a celebration or party. I decided to send in my idea for a Baby Shower centerpiece. I had come up with this idea for a friend to use for her daughter's Baby shower a few months ago. They were a big hit. I found this wonderful teapot at the resale shop for $2.50. It was perfect pink and blue, what more could I ask for. The tiny roses screamed baby! I nestled the photo on top of the teapot and added a sheer ribbon bow with some of my favorite buttons to the handle. I just placed the teapot on a glass cake dish and added some iridescent shed.
I put a photo on each side of the teapot so that it could be seen from wherever the guests were sitting. The photo is embellished my favorite gold paint, silk flower petals that have rhinestone centers, old buttons and ribbon. I also added the word CHERISH. It's a wonderful centerpiece to make for a baby shower and so many of the resale shops have teapots. It's fun to mix and match the teapots and have a different one for each table.
The second challenge I submitted something for was titled, "Sisters". I decided to make one of my memory boxes that I have on My Etsy Shop. I found an old photo of my two sisters and myself. We were all dressed up with our Easter bonnets and matching capes!
Old buttons, ribbon, gold paint and an antique key were used for the embellishments. I'm going to give this to my sisters for Chri
stmas this year.

If you have never submitted any of your creations, let me urge you to take a chance. You could very well be surprised to find out that your work of art has been chosen to be in one of Somersets Magazines. There are many challenges that they run throughout the year. Let me give you a little nudge...Take a look HERE to see what they are currently looking for. It may be scary at first, but once you do it, you will be happy that you did it.

If you want to see what other bloggers are "Hooked On" check out Hooked on Houses you will be amazed at some of the wonderful posts!

CHERISH...to hold dear.

18 comments:

Tristan said...

I love that shadow box..so pretty!

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Oh my, what pretty things you can create. Good luck with your entries, if it were up to me, you would be #1!

tam said...

Everything looks beautiful-good luck with your entry! Hope you are having a wonderful week~Tam :D

Susan P. said...

That teapot is beyond precious!

The Teacup Cottage said...

WHat a beautiful centerpiece! That is a lovely idea! You are really creative.

Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful and hope you get them published! My consignment shop certainly doesn't have any cute teapots! I have yet to see one anyway!

My Vintage Studio said...

Wonderful submissions! Good luck! I always enjoy visiting your blog. Hope you are having a good week...have a great weekend.
Hugs, Sharon

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I would wish you luck with your submissions, but I don't think you need it. These are beautiful! Thanks for joining my blog party and sharing your creativity with us today. :-)

Kim @ Forever Wherever said...

Everything is sooo pretty! You're very creative!

Mary Beth said...

I love the Somerset publications and your creations certainly belong in an upcoming issue! Just beautiful.

TidyMom said...

These are just beautiful!!
Good luck!!

~TidyMom

Arleen said...

I love Somerset publications, too, and I love all the sweet treasures you've chosen to show us! ~Arleen

Rue said...

You are very talented and I can't imagine them saying no. They would be fools if they did! Thank you for sharing your creations with us :)

rue

Christy said...

These are both so sweet and heartfelt. I wish you all the best with your submissions!
www.christymccullough.typepad.com/latest

Local Girl said...

Good luck with your submission, but your work is beautiful so I'm sure you'll be fine :)

Blessings
Liz

Suzy said...

They are all lovely, good luck!
Keep it Sweet,
Suzy

Fifi Flowers said...

Very pretty... GOOD luck!

Shari Replogle said...

Hi Sherry, I am Shari too. Happy Pink Saturday. Your blog is lovely. Congratulations on Apronology !
Have a great day.
~Shari

Related Posts with Thumbnails