Monday, February 16, 2009

Making a Cloche

Today is a party. Stop by the "I can Make This party". There are lost of links with ideas of wonderful gifts you can make for this holdiay season.
Have you ever bought things for a project and just let them sit around? Well this is the case with my latest project. I purchased the items months ago and just kept moving them off and on my worktable. Finally, I decided to complete it. I've seen many articles about "Making a Cloche". For less than $5.00 I was able to purchased the glassware, a vase from Wal-Mart, and a votive and candle stick holder from Michaels.
All I needed was some glue and it would be complete. This glue worked out wonderful for the project.
The problem was, I had no idea what to put inside it. Over the past few weeks I had decided to sort and scan all my childhood photos and put them on a CD for each of my siblings and myself. As I was scanning, I found this photo and there was my idea.... A photo of my siblings and myself (far right) after an Easter egg hunt many years ago. The photo brought tears to my eyes. It was taken in the backyard of my grandma's house. My grandma passed away about 25 years ago, and the house no longer is there. What wonderful memories, that have been tucked away. As I close my eyes I can see them perfectly, My grandma's house, her standing in the kitchen. Isn't it just wonderful how when we see an old photograph and it can quickly bring back those times that we have tucked away in our hearts. I had forgotten about the old bird stand on the grass or how my sisters and I had decided to start scrubbing the aluminum on the garage and quickly gave up. If you look at the photo you can see that the bottom 3 rows are much whiter than the rest! Grandma didn't care that we stopped cleaning, we were her pride and joy. She was just happy we were there spending time with her. As I sit here writing this, I have tears in my eyes. Where did those years go? What a blessing to have those cherished memories and the photo that has unlocked those memories for today.
A single word sums up everything...MEMORIES The perfect plate to set my creation on...
A few old buttons and a strand of crystal beads that I purchased at Christmas became the perfect embellishments.
I thought it was finished....
Maybe one more embellishment....A large old button.
Now it is complete. It sits on the table between the two chairs in our family room. As I have my morning coffee or work on my bible study, I glance over at the encased photo and joy fills my eyes at all the wonderful memories and people I have been blessed with in my life!
This was an easy project which brought so much joy. Think about gaterhing up an old photo and displaying it. You'll be amazed at the joy it will bring to your heart. Thanks for letting me share a wonderful memory with you ....
MEMORIES...that which existed as present ...becomes past.

19 comments:

tammy said...

Love it. You've inspired me.

Tristan said...

That is BEAUTIFUL, omg...I would love to make one..lol..but would have no where to set it..maybe I'll make one for someone else. Did you glue it TO the plate?

^..^Corgidogmama said...

How clever, how pretty, what a treasure you've created!!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful idea! I've been thinking alot about making memory boxes for my sisters maybe they'd like something like that. Thanks for sharing, Esther

Phyllis said...

I love cloches and your turned out great. I've never thought about making one myself and the ones you find in stores are always so expensive. Thanks for the great idea!

My Vintage Studio said...

Beautiful! Love it. Great idea.
Cheers, Sharon

{oc cottage} said...

Very cool! I did the same thing! I cannot fathom paying those prices for a cloche...so I just made something cloche-like... :) Yours looks amazing!!! You clever girl!

M ^..^

kana said...

It looks great and the family photo is priceless! Great job.

Candy said...

Oh, how I have enjoyed our visit. I love your creation and the story. You really should write it down and tuck under the plate. You always need to leave little treasures for loved ones to find. A hand-written note in years to come may become a piece of altered artwork, just like the little scrapes that are used today. I want to make one for each of my sisters.
You have inspired, Candy

Amy said...

I love this! I especially loved how you shared the story and the memories associated with the photo. Thanks!

Debye said...

What a great idea, thanks for sharing it with all of us!

Trudi said...

Your cloche look really pretty. I'd like to make one. I really haven't found them in my area. They are so expensive on line. I'll have to try one, I have the e600. All smiles.

kado! said...

That is SO Beautiful...Thanks for sharing!

Jane said...

This is so helpful. I have seen chloche's made from cheese plates. Alas, I have had no luck in finding a cheese plate. I love this! Your memories display is absolutely charming and so personal.

Sherri said...

I've made my own cloche too from Goodwill items! Love it!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

What a clever idea...it looks soooo pretty! I looove your tunes too! Hope you have a FUN day!

Blessings,
Linda

Amy said...

Very pretty!

Katie said...

How clever and pretty

Chris said...

This is absolutely brilliant! I love it! Thank you for sharing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails