Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A Traditional Red & Green Staircase

After sharing with you my last post that had a staircase all decked out it a Winter Wonderland of WHITE, I thought I would share with you another client's staircase decorated in traditional Chiristmas colors of Red & Green.  I myself have always been a "Traditional" Red &Green gal, but I sure did love the sparkling White  decorations I shared with you.
Well here is the staircase when I arrived to decorate.  This picture is only a small section of it.  It was very large and it took me 8 hours to complete the entire thing!






As you can see from this photo the railings are on both sides meaning double the decorations!




I am going to take you step by step, on how I decorated the staircase.
I found these nifty things at the garden center.  I used them to attach the artificial garland to the railings.  They worked great because you could adjust them and they did not mark up the wood handrail.






Here's a photo of how I attached it.





I purchased the garland at Costco.  It was $19.99 for 9 feet and it had the lights and pinecones in it.  I was very happy with the quality.







Next step is to attached the beaded garland.  Michaels always has a good selection and they also come in 9 foot lengths.




(click on photos to enlarge)





I made some bows using two different wide wire edged ribbons.  One was a gold glitter and the other was  red velvet with a green and gold design.  I attached a bow at the beginning and end of each garland swag.






I found these beautiful poinsettias at Hobby Lobby for half off.  I used about 35 of them and also add the gold glittered berry picks.





The next step is to add some gold ornaments.  When working on a staircase, I like to use the plastic ball ornaments.  Then when they fall you don't have a mess to clean up.  Many of the retilers carry them. I found them at Garden Ridge.









Adding two different ribbons throughout the swaged garland added some extra punch. I wrapped it around the greenery. This takes a bit of work but it adds a nice touch.





I think at Christmas you can never have enough GLITTER.  I decided to add these gold glitter picks so that everything sparkled a little bit more!







Now it's time to step back and admire your work. 











It's the perfect time right now to stock up on some  sale items so that next year you can follow these steps and have a one of a kind staircase that twinkles!





In the evening when the lights are low, the garland sparkles when the tiny lights glow against all the glitter.






I enjoy decorating, but most of all I enjoy the seeing the end results.  There is such  magic that takes place, when all the lights in the house are turned off and the only light radiating is from the small twinkle lights that come from the Christmas decorations.  It's the only time of year, for just that moment you can truly remember what it was like to be a child during the holidays.   Wishing you a  week filled with many wonderful holiday moments to treasure!










8 comments:

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I love the way you did the swag at the bottom of the stairs/banister, Sherry! Nice step-by-step!

GwendolynKay said...

You did a spectacular job! The staircase is stunning! Your client must have been elated. I too love the traditional red and green, though I am always open to new colors. Blessings!
Gwen

Amy said...

Hi Sherry.......I love the red and green. Was this Stoy's house? You are blessed with your talent : )

Love,
Amy

Unknown said...

Sherry, really beautiful. Love the tutorial, too!

Simply Debbie said...

DEAR SHERRY,
I AM NEW TO YOUR BLOG.
THIS STAIRCASE IS SO STUNNING...I BET THE OWNERS JUST HAD THEIR BREATH TAKEN AWAY WHEN THEY SAW IT FOR THE FIRST TIME.
I AM GOING TO GO BACK AND READ ALL YOUR POSTS.
THIS STAIRCASE IS VERY, VERY BEAUTIFUL.
ANGEL HUGS
DEBBIE

Stephanie said...

It's so beautiful! You are very talented. Happy New Year.

jerriann said...

You do staircase's beautifully. Thanks for the tutorial, I should think about trying it next year.

Cindy said...

Hi,
I like the red velvet ribbon with the gold scrolls. Where did you buy it?

Also the gold ribbon, where did you buy it?

Please email your comment to: cindywilson75@yahoo.com.

Thanks






Related Posts with Thumbnails