Friday, June 17, 2011

More Graduation Boards

I've had several orders for graduation boards the past few weeks. 
This mom had LOTS of photos (almost 60) she wanted displayed.
That was a challenge, but I was up for it!

Here's was I came up with....




I have a few tips for you to make your boards extra special.

Tip #1....
I cut mats for the extra special photos. 
I want them to POP off the board
when people first look at it.
Embellished them with a ribbon and button.
It adds a special touch to the frame.


This gentleman is attending Michigan State University next year.
 His mom gave me his acceptance letter
to incorporate onto the board.

I also matted the cute baby photo...


A ribbon, button and special saying was added to the photo.


Here's tip #2...
I find most of my saying on "quotegarden.com".

Once you find a saying you like
 make a folder of different categories on your computer. 
I copy the saying and type it out using different fonts. 
Once I have it exactly how I want it, I save it to a file.
Next time I need that quote,
I just open up the file and it's ready to use.

I have folder for all different categories.
Mother, Father, Grandchildren, School, Friends, Pets, Love
 and many more....


Here's Tip #3...

This student had many awards.
Most awards are 8"x11"
 which takes up way to much room on the memory board. 
 Copy the award in color, reducing the size about 60%. 
 This works great!

Take a look at the National Honors Society Award.



It's also great for a student to get their name in the paper.
Use the same tip as the award and shrink it down.


Here's tip #4...

I double mat all my photos.
After I mat them, I distress them with metallic craft paint. 
 I use either silver or gold.
Just use a sponge and wipe it on.
This adds something special. 
 It's a bit of work to double mat the photos and add the paint
but it's well worth it!


Last tip but most IMPORTANT...

I attach all the photos to a large foam core board. 
It's extra sturdy. 
 I purchase them at Hobby Lobby. 
They carry extra large boards which can be easily cut down
with an X-ACTO blade to any size you  need.
After all my photos are matted,
 I then add small blocks of foam core
to the backs of some of the photos. 

 This helps to give the board a 3D effect.
Here's a side view...


Can you see the piece of foam core
behind the National Honor Society Award?



The young man's mom picked up the board this week. 
I had it displayed in my kitchen.
When she saw it she cried. 
 It was a good thing... 
 I knew she loved it!!!

If you are interested in making a one of a kind
graduation memory board and centerpiece
 I have a "HOW TO" video on my ETSY shop.
  Take a look HERE.
I'll be linking up to the following...

6 comments:

sharon said...

Hi Sherry,

This board is amazing! You've done it again!

All those pictures and awards are displayed beautifully. It's like a timeline of a son's life....and the years fly by so quickly. No wonder the Mom cried.

Loui♥ said...

I have to agree with Sharon!
Sherry~
What you've made is truly a creation from the heart..
no wonder Mom cried..
what a beautiful tribute to the achievements of a childhood while entering the door to adulthood!!
just beautiful beyond words!
how long does the entire process take?
warmest hugs!
Loui♥

Suzann said...

What a sweet idea, I just love the board you made and I would have cried too!!
Suzann ~xoxo~

Amanda said...

What a great gift idea! :) I've featured this post on Craft Gossip here:
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/make-a-graduation-board/

If you would like a "featured by" button, you can grab one here:
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

Tricia said...

Gorgeous! I've never seen such a creative/tactful/meaningful display like that at a graduation party before...usually just snapshots. I'm sure it meant so much to that mom!

Just hopping by from the Friday blog hop!

http://momistheonlygirl.blogspot.com

Lisa said...

Hi Sherry,
Thank you so much for doing such a wonderful job on this board. I am in tears again!

Related Posts with Thumbnails