Monday, October 19, 2009

It looks like Autumn...

As you can see, this past week there were no signs of Autumn at my house. For some reason, I am running behind this year. It always seems as if there is something more important that needs to get done. I finally got the Fall decor out of storage and decided to decorate.
Now, the decorations are up and it feels like Fall. It took awhile to motivate, but once I got started I really enjoyed myself. I added the lights in with all the decorations and I just love the way it twinkles in the evening.
The banner was a wonderful unexpected gift from a friend and it's one of my favorite things to put out. Sometimes I need a slight reminder to "GIVE THANKS" in all circumstances. This is a great reminder for me.
The mirror hanging over the piano, got a little embellishment....
A simple grapevine wreath with berries was just what the mirror needed. I found this wreath up in the attic. I had used awhile back and decided to bring it out of storage. I added a pretty ribbon to attach it to the mirror. Here's an easy trick to hang a wreath using ribbon. Loop the ribbon through the wreath, cut the ribbon the proper length and use a thumb tack in the top of the mirror to attach the ribbon to the top of the mirror. This also works GREAT when hanging a wreath on a door. I want to share with you my ceiling fan. I really don't care for ceiling fans. My husband likes them for the practical purpose it serves. I have never found them all that attractive. When I was decorating the room I wanted a warm, traditional look. I had in mind a chandelier. There was no convincing my husband. If it didn't have a fan attached to the chandelier, it wasn't going to happen. Well, look at this.... It had wonderful crystals, and silk lampshades. Take a better look at it HERE I was so excited when my friend Ann (who is an interior designer) found this for me. It was PERFECT. Just the look I wanted and it made my husband happy also! I finished the inside decorations with the foyer. The entry table is adorned with gilded pumpkins and my favorite beaded garland. The pumpkins have been around for years, I just added some gold paint to them to give them a bit of Bling. The black candlestick, didn't look that way in the beginning. It was a flea market find that was quite an ugly color. Some black spray paint and a bit of gold paint gave it a whole new look. Just enough Fall decor to greet the guests who enter. This is an easy project. Last week I taught a class on how to make these door hangers. The class was a wonderful group of women who were thrilled to have completed these by the end of the evening. I have two different sets of Autumn door cans. One set, hangs on the outside of the front door to greet my guests when they arrive. the other set hangs inside so that I can enjoy them each time I pass by the front door.
If you love to see new and creative things, stop by A Soft Place to Land. It's DIY day. Here's a few other links I'll be posting to...
I'm sure you'll be inspired. Wishing you a Wonderful Autumn Day.

30 comments:

Heidi of Operation Organization said...

I love the banner! Everything looks so homey and charming. ;)

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

WOW WOW WOW!!! I love your decor! I'm visiting from DIY day at ASPTL and I'm now a follower! If you have a chance, check out my wreath (your's put mine to shame)!

WWW.home23duncanboys.blogspot.com

Patty B. said...

I love that banner. I wanted to make a "give thanks" banner but thought it would be too long for my mantel. Now I know it'll be just fine. I love that painting above your mantel too.

Shanty 2 Chic said...

Love it! Really like the banner!! It's beautiful!
~Whitney

Tardevil said...

Your decorations are very pretty! Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer Juniper said...

I think that beaded garland might be just the thing for me. I don't like gaudy fall stuff, but this is cool!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I love that your fall decor is not over-done. Your door cans are great ~ I love the ribbon. Nice idea putting the wreath over the mirror. I'm thinking of doing similar for Christmas this year since I have two large mirrors. It's not part of your fall decor, but I love that picture on your mantel.

9405018--Pat said...

wow! your home looks wonderful...thanks for sharing.....Pat H

Delightful Dwelling said...

How pretty! I love that banner on your mantle and the twinkle lights. The wreath over the mirror is a neat idea. That is a gorgeous ceiling fan too! I don't like the look of ceiling fans either, but it's hard to go through a hot and sticky Midwest summer without them.

Sherri said...

Everything is simply beautiful! I LOVE your door can hangers. Would love to know how you made them!

Dena Pickle said...

Love your house, you are very creative and talented.

Dena Pickle said...

Love your house, you are very creative and talented.

Rizzi said...

HI SHERRY,
YOUR AUTUMN DECORATIONS ARE LOVELY. THE FIREPLACE IS SO NICE. TAKE CARE, AND HAVE A GOOD DAY.

RIZZI....GIFTS FROM THE SEA

Anonymous said...

I love SO MUCH of what I see. I always say that if I find one thing from a blog that I would like to do (copy), then I need to sign up to follow. I am going to put a wreath in front of a mirror! Sign me up!
Jan

Shirley said...

Love the wreath on the mirror. So pretty. And the fall flower filled cans on the door handles are very clever. Never saw anything like that before.

Kammy said...

Very pretty and I am in love with your cans ! I have to do that one day....I have a huge list !!
Kammy

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Sherry, I am so glad that someone else was late doing fall. But you certainly pulled out the stops! Love what you did to the room. I adore your give thanks banner, and the cute arrangements you hung from the door. And so many other things you did. Great job!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Sherry, your home is stunning in its fall slpender! I especially love the mirror!
Be sure to link back so new friends can join in. Thanks for linking up to thrifty Thursday, sweet friend!
Leigh
Tales from Bloggeritaville
www.lbratina.blogspot.com

Jessica said...

What absolutely gorgeous fall decorations! It turned out lovely!

Happy Thrifty Thursday!

Jes

Unknown said...

It's all so pretty!

Blondie's Journal said...

Sherry,

Your house is just lovely. I love how you used the wreath over the mirror and thanks for the hanging tip. And your banner is just fabulous. I found so many ideas here!! And I am VERY late in decorating!!

Happy Thrifty Thursday

xoxox
Jane

Diann said...

Everything looks beautiful! I love the hanging ribbon/floral/cans!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

I need to hang a wreath over a mirror. It is beautiful. Great decorating!

Phyllis @Around the House said...

The wreath is just so beautiful as is all the autumn decorations, just so pretty

Tamera said...

I lOve it all! Autumn is my favorite time of year...thanks for sharing!

Tamera@doubledelight

ImagineCozy said...

Love the wreath on the mirror --- it looks just beautiful!
-Angela

Nancy said...

I love the banner, the lights, the door hangers, oh, just all. Very very homey.

cindy said...

Such beautiful fall touches all over your home. Lots of inspiration! Thanks for sharing...
peace.

Unknown said...

Oh my...your mantel looks so festive. Your home is sooo warm and inviting! Thanks for sharing!

Stop by and see my lovely transformation and don't forget to see yesterday's post too!!!...My papa's hand-painted frescoes from the cathedrals of Southern Italy!

And if you like what you see, don't forget to click the "Follow" button so that we can inspire each other often!

Lei said...

Here from Blissfully Domestic! Love the warmth of your home!

Related Posts with Thumbnails